I Dream In Digital

Saturday, February 21, 2009

An Experiment I Wish Would Have Failed!

When I heard a few months ago that it was possible to make chocolate cake in a coffee mug in the microwave, I have to admit, I was intrigued. I'm a sucker for chocolate cake...well...really anything made with chocolate. Last night I found the recipe in anticipation of trying it and was sadly disappointed when I realized that one of the ingredients is cocoa powder and I don't have any in the house.

Me? Give up? Just because I don't have the main ingredient? If you think I gave up, you have woefully misunderstood my love of chocolate! Not to be thwarted in my quest for chocolatey goodness, I scoured the internet for another recipe for "cake in a mug" to satisfy my craving. There were various concoctions with cocoa powder or cocoa mix and one that involved mixing cake mix and pudding mix together. All seemed to produce large cakes that baked up and out of the mug when all I really wanted was a snack size cake.

So I improvised.

I had seen a posting on a weight loss board about how to make a brownie in a mug with just brownie mix and water. If it could work with brownie mix, why not cake mix? I've had a lonely box of chocolate cake mix in the pantry for a while now. I haven't had the guts to make it because I know myself too well and it would disappear faster than the speed of light and my bathroom scale would bemoan my choice in the morning. (Yes, I love chocolate cake that much!)

It didn't take much trial and error...one try and the result was quite tasty.

4 Tbsp Chocolate cake mix (mine was the kind with pudding in the mix)
1 1/2 Tbsp water
1/2 Tbsp oil
2 Tbsp chocolate chips (optional but a nice touch)

Microwave on high 1 1/2 min

This made 1 serving that baked about halfway up in my average sized coffee cup. Just one word of caution though, the mug and the contents were very hot. I had to use a hot pad to remove the mug from the microwave and I really should have waited a few minutes longer for the cake to cool before eating it. I think next time I might also try using some non stick spray in the mug before adding the ingredients. Yes, I will be making this again!

It was the perfect snack to satisfy my craving & not as detrimental and time consuming as making and eating a whole cake! Try it for yourself and let me know what you think!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Please post the cocoa recipe too. I always have cocoa but not cake mix. If I substitute Splenda for sugar we could make it lower in calories too.

Mom

Ginny said...

your blog is beautiful. I noticed that you also used zoe's blog in a box. I am trying to update my blog with her stuff. I am having error code issues. How did you end up solving your problems?

Post a Comment